Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Wrigley and the North Wind

On June 1st of this year, I took my black and white miniature poodle, Wrigley, outside for a walk.  After "marking" every tree in sight (and that was just our driveway), he pulled at the leash and steered me right to our favorite walking spot near my house: a private, sunny lane framed with trees that opens up to a soccer field.  It was sooo beautiful out -- a strong breeze blowing and absolutely perfect temperatures.  Wrigley was thrilled to be on this adventure called "WALK", and it was very entertaining to watch him make a fool out of himself again and again.  But hey, he's a dog.  He's got no shame.  ;)

When we turned around to head back down the lane, the wind really started to pick up.  It was crazy wind -- almost as crazy as the windstorm we had at MCC a few weeks ago.  At one point I thought I was going to get blown off my feet, and the wind actually stopped me in my tracks.  I glanced down at Wri and found him cowering to the ground, his curly fur blown almost straight.  It. Was. Pathetic.  

Coming to the rescue, I scooped him up in my arms and held him tight.  Wrigley clung to me for dear life as I began battling through the wind for the both of us.  While I was fighting the wind, it occurred to me -- isn't this a perfect picture of how God relates to His children while we are in a storm?  It doesn't matter how old we are or how "mature" in our walk we are expected to be -- if we're in the midst of a windstorm and cry out to Him, He'll run to us, scoop us up into His arms, and carry us.  We are not a burden to Him; He'll never tire of holding us.     

It also brings Mark 6:48-51 to mind: “And He saw that they were making headway painfully, for the wind was against them.  And about the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea.  He meant to pass by them, but when they saw Him walking on the sea they thought it was a ghost, and cried out, for they all saw Him and were terrified.  But immediately He spoke to them and said, ‘Take heart; it is I.  Do not be afraid.’  And He got into the boat with them, and the wind ceased.  And they were utterly astounded . . . .”

Are you in a storm?  Has life just decked you?  Are you hopeless?  Desperate?  Alone?

Cry out to Jesus.  He will carry you.

The storm may not stop, but He will see you through it.  You are not alone.  You have never been alone, nor will you ever be.  He is with you in your darkest hours.  His arms ache to hold you, His heart longs to speak to yours, His hands tremble with eagerness to touch your life, your soul. 

The same God who calmed the wind on the Sea of Galilee will calm the storm inside you, even when all hell is breaking loose around you.

But you must call first.  He is a heartbeat away -- cry out to Him, and He will carry you.


1 comment:

  1. This is SO encouraging. I think you're more than accomplishing your goal with this blog, Jordan. :) love ya!

    ReplyDelete